There is just alot about Universal Music Africa that many of us don’t know apart from the fact that our Artistes become unpopular to us when they Join it.
An Average Cameroonian thinks UMA is the worst Record label an Artiste can join but to an extend it is FALSE. You probably think Ternor, Minks Locko Charlotte and Ben Decca are Regretting? Nope.
Now let me tell you what you didn’t know about Universal Music Africa. First of all it is worth knowing that UMA is just part of Universal Music Group which is in Los Angeles. Universal Music Group is the Largest Record label in the world. Setting up a faction of it in Africa was due to the rise of the increasing demand for Afro Beats. UMG needed to help these Artistes get their Music to the World at large. Setting up UMA was neccesary in Africa. UMA has done the following for African Artistes
1) Increase their Audience and opportunities. Today Artistes like Tekno, Wizkid, Tiwa Savage are able to Sell Arenas in London, Get collaborations with Drake and many more, thanks to UMA. This is because UMA has one of the best distribution deals
2) It has helped Structure African Music Market . It has solved many Problems plaguing the Music Buisness in Africa like absence of legal framework, Piracy and distribution Challenges. Artistes under UMA, benifit from one of the best distribution deals.
3)UMA has offered Job opportunities in the domain of Entertainment to many African Youths. It signs young Artistes and raise them from nothing to Something and before you know it they are Everywhere.
4) It has Exported African Music to the world at Large. If Tiwa savage can get sold out Concerts in the USA and many places thanks to UMA. Look in Cameroon. Our Artistes signed under UMA easily have tours in Europe, and in other African Countries. Ternor has had a European Tour, locko, too and many others. The mistake UMA makes is, it forgets about the home market and focus on the Tier 1 and Tier 2 Countries as they have a higher Purchasing Power. To them, this is business and you should go where the money is.
5) UMA allows all its artistes to establish their own Record labels and even Partners with some. It helps them in the distribution of their products, groom our Artistes to better manage themselves in case their deal ever Expires. Ternor owns a label, Minks does, Locko does and those are going to be one of the biggest labels in Cameroon in times to Come because they are in contact with Professionals.
6) Helps African Artistes License their Music. Most of the Cash in the developed music market comes from Licensing everything from Audio (Streaming and radio Airways) and performance rights to Song writing and branding. This has become very important in the Global music market. LOCKO recently hit 2million streams for his album getting Double Platinum and all thanks to UMA.
Cameroonians need to know that UMA is the best Record label one can sign to if he wishes to take his music to the world at Large and make more money. Reason you see less of your Artistes When they are signed to UMA is because they focus where the money is not where the emotions are. Buisness is Business and make Sure your Arts is Paying your Bills and you living it Big. Ternor and Locko have had More than 15shows out of Cameroon this year but less than 3shows in Cameroon this year. This is all about the money and Conquering the Global Market.
Remember, this is Music Business